Important Update: All Ultimate Survival Skills information including this book, has been moved to our new site, survivalbuilder.com. Survival Builder is an interactive survival plan builder with over 3000 quality survival books.
The object of this pamphlet is to deal, in the first place, with those branches of knowledge which together constitute the scientific foundations of bread making as a science in itself. Paramount among these is chemistry with which is closely associated heat and its properties. We are also going to be concerned with fermentation and the biology of micro-organisms, vegetable physiology in its relation to the wheat plant and microscopy.
Next, viewing bread-making as an art or industry, the design of bakeries and adaptation of machinery for various purposes is discussed. Following on this is a description of the various processes and operations involved in the commercial manufacture of bread, together with an investigation of the many important practical problems connected therewith.
The more purely analytical section of the work includes detailed directions for the commercial testing and valuation of flour, yeast, and other bread-making materials ; in addition to which there are also given approved methods for the commercial and complete chemical analysis of such substances. A number of analyses and other chemical investigations have been recently made for the purpose of this book, and are here published.
The work concludes with a description of the chemistry of confectioners’ raw materials. It is not proposed to adhere to any very rigid classification, but so to arrange the subject matter as seems most likely to meet the requirements of the majority of readers.
The booklet covers each topic thoroughly and answers all the basic questions anyone would have when considering the needs for baking bread the best possible way.
- Description of the Principal Chemical Elements, and their Inorganic Compounds
- Description of Organic Compounds
- The Microscope and Polarisation of Light
- Constituents of Wheat and Flour—Mineral and Fatty Matters
- The Carbohydrates
- The Proteins
- Enzymes and Diastatic Action
- Bacterial and Putrefactive Fermentations
- Technical Researches on Fermentation
- Manufacture of Yeasts
- Physical Structure and Physiology of the Wheat Grain
- Chemical Composition of Wheat
- The Strength of Flour
- Composition and Properties of Flour and Other Milling Products
- Bakehouse Design
- The Machine Bakery and Its Management
- Analytic Apparatus
- Commercial Testing of Wheats and Flours
- Determination of Mineral and Fatty Matters Soluble Extract, Acidity and Proteins
- Estimation of Carbohydrates
- Bread Analysis
- Adulteration and Additions
- Routine Mill Tests
- Confectioners’ Raw Materials
Want a Stack Of
We are giving away our 10 most popular survival books completely free
No Strings & No Hassles