Important Update: All Ultimate Survival Skills information including this book, has been moved to our new site, survivalbuilder.com. Survival Builder is an interactive survival plan builder with over 3000 quality survival books.
Short-term stored food is defined as five years or less. Short-term storage methods for dry foods (10% of less moisture) limit oxygen exposure and protect from moisture and insects.
Learn about the three kinds of containers that can be used for stored food, including:
1. HDPE Plastic Buckets
- Foods used within five years – should they be kept in their original packaging? Yes, adding this additional layer of storage affords additional protection for food.
- Bulk foods that are used often can be stored in this type of buckets without special treatment. Examples and kinds of food that can be stored this way are flower, powdered milk, oatmeal and other foods that are used at least once a week.
2. Glass Canning Jars
- Should I use clean canning jars? Absolutely! To avoid food borne illness, using new, clean canning lids and rings (or those properly sterilized) is a must.
- Glass canning jars are filled with dry food and placed in a warm oven for a specified time according to the size.
- These are excellent for brown rice, seeds, nuts, cocoa powder and dried fruit.
3. PETE Bottles
- Clean, dry PETE bottles are filled with dry food, an oxygen absorbing packet is added, the edge wiped clean and the lid screwed on tightly and taped down with masking or packing tape.
- What is the proper way to store PETE bottles: These should be stored away from light and protected from rodents. They can often be stored in a small amount of space and are convenient to keep in the pantry or cupboard because the contents can be easily seen.
All three kinds of stored food containers should be stored in a cool, dry and dark environment for the longest shelf life. Knowing how to prolong your food’s life and nutrients is necessary for emergency preparedness.
Want a Stack Of
We are giving away our 10 most popular survival books completely free
No Strings & No Hassles